1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Does Netflix Really Support Atmos With Windows 10 App

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by John Dirk, Sep 1, 2018.

1. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    To avoid further derailing of the "Looking for a Reliable Inexpensive Blu Ray Player" thread I figured I would branch off here.

I've been trying [without much success] to get Atmos content to play via my Windows 10 HTPC for awhile now. I have the latest build and everything in my playback chain is Atmos capable. I also have the required top tier Netflix plan and playback quality set to "High." Atmos content plays just fine from any HTPC source [JRiver, Kodi, etc] other than Netflix.

I recently spent a good 45 minutes online with them trying to get to the bottom of it. The technician was very nice but it was clear she had no idea how to assist me and continually placed me on hold while she conferred with their "Research Team." Their final answer was that I needed to purchase the Dolby Access app with Atmos for Headphones option. This is clearly false as the Dolby Access app offers Atmos for Home Theater free and Atmos content from it's included demos play fine.

It is worth noting that the output from Atmos enabled Netflix titles do appear to my AVR as Atmos to some extent [Dolby Digital +/Plus Surround] but Netflix never offers any sound mix higher than standard 5.1 and the output still appears to be channel-based. A little research on Dolby's site indicates that Atmos can be delivered via Dolby Digital Plus, something I wasn't previously aware of. With Netflix claiming only "lossy" Atmos support, I suspect this is what they're doing but I don't think it should be marketed as full Atmos support.

If you've made it this far I commend you and you're likely as confused as I am. For the moment, I've downgraded my plan. Once that takes effect [later in Sept] I'll check to see if the output signal changes or if I still see Atmos logos on supported content.

DaveF likes this.
  2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I definitely want to check into this. But I’m not sure if I’ll have time this weekend to fool around with the media PC. Will report back when I’ve run tests. :)

3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I get Atmos but I have to hdmi my laptop to the denon and use the Windows App version of Netflix.

John Dirk and DaveF like this.
  4. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    Hey TonyD!

Interesting and encouraging! A few questions.
    1. As Denon and Marantz share similar DNA, do you see channel indicators in the input section of the onscreen display or does it show as true Atmos with no channels indicators.
    2. Do you see Dolby Atmos offered as an actual audio track from supported Netflix titles such as Bright?
    3. Have you purchased the Dolby Atmos for Headphones add on?

When you have a moment, a couple of screenshots would be greatly appreciated.

5. Message #5 of 8 Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
    TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Sorry I can’t help with any of that this month as NF and I are in a break.

I can tell you that when you load up the app and search Atmos you will get a handful of shows and movies that have the Atmos logo next to the title of the show.

I suggest that if you have access to NF app on a windows 10 device to just load it up and check for yourself.

Oh I never use headphones so no on that one.

John Dirk likes this.
  6. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    To add, Atmos from NF is only available from the windows 10 NF app from the W10 App Store.

7. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I don’t have the UHD plan, so I can’t test Netflix Atmos on my HTPC.

http://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

8. Message #8 of 8 Sep 18, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    No need at this point. It's now clear to me that Netflix's Atmos support is the compressed [lossy] Dolby Digital + variety. I didn't even know Atmos came in lossy versions until researching this. Since Apple TV now supports Atmos in a True HD 7.1 bed, maybe Netflix will get their act together soon. I personally feel they should at least come clean and provide details regarding the Atmos formats they currently offer.