1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

AV Receiver turns off when I switch to Blu-Ray HDMI port

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Curt Gilker, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM.

1. Curt Gilker

Curt Gilker Agent

This is a new development, as I have not changed anything in my setup for several years. Today, when I switched to the Blu-Ray player (using HDMI), the receiver turns off. this happens repeatedly. The other HDMI ports and inputs work fine (i.e. Roku, TV).

It is definitely the Blu-Ray player, as I changed it to another HDMI port and the same thing happened on the new HDMI port. Similarly, I switched to another HDMI cable, and the receiver still shut down.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot further? Or just get a new Blu-Ray player?

Thanks in advance.

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Just a thought but it sounds like the Blu-ray player may be overloading the receiver and possibly causing the thermal protection circuit to kick in.

Can you turn the receiver back on after it shuts off and get a Blu-ray to play or does it shut off every time?

3. JQuintana

JQuintana Stunt Coordinator

Johnny
    As silly as it sounds, may want to unplug power to both for a minute. The plug back in and test.

4. Curt Gilker

Curt Gilker Agent

My thought too, but I don't know why this would just start now (but I am no expert). And yes, the receiver shuts off every time.

5. Curt Gilker

Curt Gilker Agent

Not silly at all - I work in IT support, and that is the first thing I ask people to try. In my case, it did not help.

6. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    Sounds like a Consumer Electronics Control [CEC] issue to me. Check the Blu Ray players settings. Different companies may use different names but its basically a protocol that allows basic commands to be sent via HDMI to other capable devices. When you find it, disable it.